There has been a lot of recent press coverage on patients being diagnosed with mouth cancer you might to get your mouth checked out, with approximately 18 people being diagnosed with the disease every day.
According to research undertaken by the British Dental Health Foundation, half of those diagnosed with Mouth Cancer claim that they would leave a mouth ulcer for more than a month before seeking medical advice, with one in three unsure if they are at risk of mouth cancer, while more than a third of people don’t realise smoking tobacco is linked to the disease.
Here are some Mouth Cancer facts for patients in Solihull:
- Latest figures show that in 2011, there were 6,767 people diagnosed with Mouth Cancer in the UK
- That’s 18 people every day – one person diagnosed every 77 minutes
- Mouth Cancer cases have trebled in the last decade and it is one of few cancers that experts predict will continue to increase in the coming years
- Mouth Cancer is ranked the 16th most common cancer in the UK
- The lifetime risk of developing cancer of the mouth is 1 in 84 for men and 1 in 160 for women
- Cancer of the tongue and oral cavity are the most common forms of Mouth Cancer, followed by cancer of the throat. Lip, neck and other mouth cancers make up the rest of cases.Did you know that…?
- More than 2,000 people lose their life to the fatal disease in the UK every year?
- There are more deaths from Mouth Cancer than there are through road traffic accidents?
- Mouth Cancer also claims more lives per year than cervical and testicular cancer combined?
- Although the number of Mouth Cancer cases have increased steadily over the last decade, more people are being treated successfully and living for longer
- Early detection for Mouth Cancer results in a survival outcome of 90%….
- However, delayed diagnosis causes survival rates to plummet to as little as 50%Mouth Cancer Action month takes place from November 1st until November 30th so make sure that you do something to support the event and visit your dentist on a regular basis.