If you have recently moved to a new area or are looking for a family dentist in Solihull who can offer you and your family a top service in helping to maintain your teeth and gums It can sometimes be difficult knowing what to look for.
Here are some important things you might want to look for when choosing a family dentist:
Make sure your dentist offers the following
- Takes regular x-rays of your mouth to look for decay and gum disease.
- Provides a thorough cleaning and polishing of your teeth.
- Apply fluoride treatments.
- Diagnose and treat early signs of tooth decay.
- Perform dental procedures such as fillings and crowns
- Look for initial signs of mouth cancer
- Maintain records of your oral health.
- Handle emergency dental care situations, are they open seven days a week?
- Refer you to dental specialists when needed such as Hygienists, Orthodontists.
A family dentist should educate you and your family about the basics how to look after your teeth and the importance on brushing and flossing on a daily basis. The dentist should also provide education on other topics pertaining to oral health such as diet and nutrition, general health, and injury prevention.
How to Choose a Family Dentist
- Don’t just choose a dentist for yourself. Make sure the dentist is someone who can relate to everyone in your family, including any small children or teenagers who might need braces.
- Ask about any special techniques they use to care for children for example do they educate children on brushing techniques or is there anything they do for nervous children?
- Find out if the practice is using the latest state-of-the-art equipment to minimize pain and maximize results.
- Check out their dental qualifications. The basic dental degree is a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD). Also ask about any additional certifications for child care or any continuing education classes on dental procedures.
- Check to see if they have a website as this will tell you if the dentist is family friendly. Also look at online reviews and social media channels such as Facebook pages and Twitter.
Make sure you visit the dental practice with your family so you can meet the staff and have a tour of the practice before making that all important decision.
If you are on the lookout for a dentist that offers the above then checkout our Twitter, or drop us a line and one of our friendly team will be able to arrange an appointment for you to come and visit.