Veneers are classed as a strand of cosmetic dentistry which help improve the position, colour and shape of your teeth. Made from a thin layer of porcelain, veneers are placed over the front surface of your tooth and the procedure is often compared to false nails being placed over real nails. Here at Paul Lowe, your veneers will be bespoke and handmade by a dental technician.
Veneers require 3 visits to us and include the following details:
- Consultation and planning. Your consultation will involve you and your dentist discussing the procedure and this is when you can outline the details of what you would like to achieve. Your dentist will examine your teeth to make sure you are ready for the procedure and may need to take X-rays or impressions of your teeth.
- Following this, your dentist will begin preparations for the procedure itself. Roughly half a millimetre of your tooth’s enamel will be removed from the surface of your tooth and you will have the option of undergoing this under local anaesthetic if you wish. An impression of your tooth will be taken and sent to our dental laboratory, where your veneers will be created and then sent back to us after a week or two. You may wish to have a temporary veneer placed.
- The final part of the process is bonding. Your dentist will do a provisional test, placing the veneer on your tooth to ensure the size and colour are correct. If necessary, the veneer will be amended to achieve a satisfactory result. Your dentist will polish, etched and cleaned, allowing for a successful and long-term bonding process. One this is complete, a cement solution is placed onto the veneer and then onto your tooth which is when a light beam is applied to activate chemicals in the glue cement, which trigger a strong bond.
Advantages of veneers
- Veneers are a natural-looking solution to improving the appearance of your teeth. The treatment is bespoke which means you will be able to choose the look and size of your tooth as well as the colour, so you can choose a whiter shade if you wish.
- Their porcelain finish renders them stain-resistant.
- There is generally no need for your tooth to undergo repeated shaping as with crowns yet veneers offer a more aesthetic and stronger result.
If you would like to know more about veneers, please contact us here at Paul Lowe.