Preventative Dentistry at Paul Lowe Dentistry in Solihull
Check-ups are paramount in preventing any more serious problems developing later down the line
- Dental hygiene
- Many patients approach us about their dental hygiene here at Paul Lowe and we find that many do not possess sufficient information and education surrounding their dental hygiene.
- There is only so much you can achieve by cleaning your teeth at home. Visiting the dental hygienist should not be a substitute for visiting your dentist, as their roles differ (see our blog about the importance of visiting the dental hygienist). Your dental hygienist can perform what is known as a ‘scale and polish’ where bacteria in the form of plaque and tartar is removed from the surface of your teeth (or from your tooth enamel).
- Gum disease
- Screening for gum disease should be an essential part of your routine examination. Your dentist will remove all hard and soft deposits on your teeth surfaces as well as below your gums in order to make sure there are no pre-existing factors like poorly fitted restorations or food traps which can cause problems later on. We will also discuss your at home dental routine to ensure that it is as effective and healthy as possible.
- Mouth cancer
- Regular check-ups are indispensable in catching early signs of mouth cancer, especially in later life. If your last check-up was less than 6 months ago and you notice any abnormal changes in your mouth such as an ulcer that does not heal, you should not be afraid to make a supplementary appointment straight away.
- Giving up smoking will greatly decrease your chances of mouth cancer – if you need support in giving up smoking, follow the NHS link here, or talk to your dentist here at Paul Lowe so that they can refer to you to the right support team.
- Fresh Breath
- Bad breath can be the source of low self-confidence and lessen your desire to smile and kiss. There are a number of causes associated with bad breath, which can be as simple as smoking or consuming certain foods on a regular basis. Some patients find they have persistent bad breath which is generally caused by bacteria coating teeth and gums or food particles becoming lodged in between teeth. Visits to the hygienist can help keep bad breath at bay. Here at Paul Lowe, we appreciate that this can feel like an embarrassing problem and we will do everything we can to make your feel at ease and offer you the help you need.
if you would like to book an appointment with one of our dentists or hygienists, please do not hesitate to contact us.